Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Inappropriate Facebook Posts, Godmothers, & Peeking in People's Medicine Cabinets


Dear Kelli,

I have a friend who comments all the time about my posts on Facebook, and who says inappropriate things like, "that other picture of you looked so much better." I don't want to block my friend from seeing or commenting on my posts and pictures, but this really irks me. What do you suggest?

Signed,
Friend Is a Facebook Hog

Dear Friend Is a Facebook Hog,
Honesty! That's what I suggest. The simple truth always works for me. You have to let this "friend" know how you feel. She can't argue with your feelings. You have a right to feel them and a right to express them. But remember it's helpful to use "I" statements so your friend doesn't get defensive. For example: "I feel embarrassed and a little self-conscious when you make
inappropriate comments about my Facebook pictures and posts." If your friend still continues to post additional inappropriate comments it's time to de-friend her. She'll get the picture (no pun intended).

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
My sister just recently had her first child. She wants me to be the godmother. I already have 3 kids of my own and really don't want the responsibility. Am I obligated to say yes?

Signed,
No More Fairy Godmother

Dear No More Fairy Godmother,
No, you are absolutely not obligated to say yes. In fact, saying yes if you know you can't handle the job is irresponsible on your part. I'm sure your sister wants someone who not only wants the job but who can truly take it on! It's understandable you have too much on your plate right now with 3 kids of your own and again I think honesty is the way to go here. Your sister will
appreciate your candor. Perhaps you could help her brainstorm other godmothers who could do the job?

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
When I go to somebody's house and use the bathroom, I peek into their medicine cabinet. I know it's wrong, but they probably expect that guests will look, so how wrong can it be?

Signed,
Peek-a-Boo

Dear Peek-a-Boo,
I'm not sure people expect guests to look in their cabinets but I'm sure they know it is a possibility. Does that mean it is right for guests to look there? No. Is it a big deal? In my opinion, not really. But I think the question lies more on your end. Why do you feel the need to look in other people's cabinets? Are you generally curious and why? Are you trying to get validated
knowing others take the same or different medication? I think these questions will bring some clarity (and possible closure) on why you feel the need to peek.

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment