Friday, October 23, 2009

Awesome iPhone Apps, Grandmas that Shouldn't Be Driving, & More Kids?


Dear Kelli,

I'm not sure this question is relevant but do you have an iPhone and if so what are your favorite apps?

Signed,
Proud Geek


Dear Proud Geek,
I do have an iPhone and this may be a bold statement, but it has seriously changed my life! So yes, I'd love to share my favorite apps. I'm still relatively new to the iPhone scene but here are my picks so far:

For practicality my all time favorite app is Maps. I get lost in a paper bag so this is essential for me! I also just downloaded Epicurious for recipes and shopping lists. So far so good. And I noticed Flixster is really great for finding movies in the area

Socially I dig Facebook to catch up with my friends. And recently I added Twitterific to post my tweets (I like that it's free, hee, hee!)

Finally, for fun nothing beats Scrabble, in my opinion!

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
My grandma, God bless her soul, is a very sweet woman. But she's 88 and she
shouldn't be driving. She can hardly see, doesn't remember directions, and
makes teenagers seem like good drivers! But she's so stubborn and insists on
continuing to drive. She says not being able to drive is like "cutting off her
arm." How can I get her to stop driving? I'm very nervous for her and everyone
else on the road!

Signed,
Stay off the Sidewalks


Dear Stay off the Sidewalks,

You know the old saying: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks?" The same principle applies here. Your grandma is set in her ways unfortunately and probably won't change. So my advice is two-fold. First, validate her feelings regarding a loss of independence. I would say something like, "I understand how hard it must be to even think of not driving. I know how much you value your personal freedom and independence and I can completely understand." Second, I
would try and make a compromise with her. It sounds as if she's not willing to give up driving completely so you have to suggest the next best thing. I would say something along the lines of: "I believe it's fair for you to drive in and around your neighborhood. Maybe to the grocery store or to the bank? But further distances why don't I just come and pick you up?" Finally, don't forget to mention how much you love her and you're only suggesting this because you're
honestly concerned.

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
We have three kids. For the past year my husband has been begging for another. I'm completely and totally finished. I love my kids but three is more than enough! Who wins?

Signed,
Finished Mom


Dear Finished Mom,

No always wins in my opinion. So in this case that would be you who "wins." To be a parent I believe BOTH individuals must really want to have the child. Sure, you may grow to love another child but from your post it sounds as if you are satisfied with your life as is. Remind your husband how grateful you are for your three kids but that another one will be too much right now. If he still won't give up, tell him you can revisit the subject in a year.

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment