Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Husband snoring, Perfectionists during the holidays, & DVD suggestions


Dear Kelli,

Any suggestions on how I can get a peaceful night's rest? My husband snores so loud I'm surprised you can't hear it from your house! Please don't say I should sleep in the other room, I still want to share a bed!

Signed,
Insomniac


Dear Insomniac,
Some wives who husbands snore consider divorce. So I'm glad to hear you even want to sleep in the same bed! For that I think I'm happy to give you my suggestions:

1) First check to make sure your husband doesn't have a more serious medical problem (i.e. sleep apnea, etc.)
2) Try and go to bed before your husband. Even 10-15 minutes can make a difference.
3) Purchase a great pair of ear plugs. I like the wax kind that shape to your ear. You can't hear a pin drop! Personally I like a brand called Mack's. http://www.macksearplugs.com/
4) Invest in a white noise machine. They block out all outside noise. You can find them at specialty stores like Brookstone (or in more everyday stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Radio Shack).
5) Ask hubby to try nose strips. I've heard mixed reviews but it might be worth a try. I looked online and right now Breathe Right is offering 2 free samples: http://www.breatheright.com/

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
Now that the holidays are approaching I find myself wanting everything to be perfect. When my family comes I want the décor just right, the cooking Martha Stewart-esq, gifts just right, etc. How can I just ease up and go with the flow this season?

Signed,
Type A for the holidays


Dear Type A for the holidays,

I want you to first think about why you want everything to be perfect. I have a feeling you'd probably say because you want everyone to be happy and you want to ensure a good time. But if you dissect your/my answer a little deeper you might just see that it's a really a need for your control. And a lot of times taking control is a way that anxiety manifests itself. In other words, you're anxious about the holidays so you think that having everything perfect (and going crazy
trying to achieve that) will help you maintain a sense of control. If that's the case I would do a few things:

1) Make sure you give yourself at least some alone time to relax. Taking a bath, meditating and yoga are all great ways. I already hear you saying, "But I don't have the time!" Make it. It will be worth it. You'll see.
2) Challenge yourself to allow other household members to help you out. Yes, they won't do it like you do. Yes, it won't be perfect. But that's part of accepting and relinquishing some control. If this is especially hard for you, think of it as a way of giving service to others (giving other people jobs empowers them and makes them feel special.)
3) Remind yourself holidays aren't supposed to be about perfection, décor, gifts, etc. It's about time spent with the family. So keep repeating that mantra over and over.

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
This sounds funny but I'm wondering what TV shows series you recommend on DVD. The shows can be old, I just need some ideas!

Signed,
Netflix Junkie


Dear Netflix Junkie,
I love this question because I too live for a good TV series! For action and suspense, 24 is simply incredible. I think I watched 15 hours non-stop, so plan on getting the series over the weekend! Lost, especially the first and second season, is pretty amazing, too. And if you are up for something different, Dexter is really fascinating. For drama, I absolutely loved Six Feet Under, and House is great in the medical arena. And finally, if you are looking for something lighter, Arrested Development and The Office are great classics.

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment