Monday, August 9, 2010

Ask Kelli: Guys Whistling, Friend's Smelly Dog, & Economical Clothes

Dear Kelli,

I absolutely hate it when guys whistle or even look at me on the street in that way. I find myself giving them dirty looks back. What can I say to them to make them stop?

Signed,
Piece of Meat



Dear Piece of Meat,
It sounds like what you're feeling when guys whistle or stare at you is degraded. I can certainly understand that but I'm also wondering if you can look at this situation in another way. Because here's the thing: it's not like telling one particular guy to stop is going to make the rest of the male gene pool stop, too. So I'm thinking you can embrace the comments. You are a hot mama, time to enjoy it! Even though it may not be in the most graceful manner, a whistle or a look is still a compliment. So try looking at the whistles at a form of flattery, rather than a form of harassment. I actually wouldn't say anything to the guys if you want them stop. I'm nervous you are only going to attract more comments! So perhaps you can take contrary action and say "thank you" or even smile. If that feels like too much, you can just move on without
saying anything (no dirty look necessary). Chances are, if you move on without
making a big deal, the guys won't either.

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
This is going to sound petty but here goes. I have a dog and so does my dear friend. We go walking a lot or just hang out together with the pups. The issue is that her dog really smells. Is there a delicate way to tell her to wash her pooch?

Signed,
Smelly Dog



Dear Smelly Dog,
I have an idea. What if you and your friend went to this cool new groomer shop you found last week? (And if money is an issue you can always suggest washing the pooches together at someone's place).

If that still doesn't work, just be honest: "Betty, you know I adore Fido. He's adorable and so much fun. But I've noticed he may need a bath. I know Spot really needed one last week!"

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
I'm so sick of my clothes. Any suggestions on inexpensive clothing stores?

Signed,
Want to Be Trendy (But Economical)



Dear Want to Be Trendy (but Economical),
Girl, you are speaking my language! I'm a huge fan of TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Nordstroms Rack, and Ross. You know the saying "brand names for less"? You'd be surprised at what you can find at these joints for cheap! Consignment shops are an option too -- although more hit or miss, in my opinion. And don't forget to check out the sale racks at the end of seasons at department stores like Macy's. As for shoes: Payless is always a good option.

Finally, I just want to say I've always found it okay to splurge on basic pieces (black pants, black skirts, white collared shirts, classic white t-shirts, etc.)
because chances are you'll use these pieces often.

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment