Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ask Kelli: Picky Eater, Worried Friend, & Possibly Pregnant

Dear Kelli,
Do you think it's wrong to make specifications and changes to a menu item? For example, when I go out to eat I may say, "No croutons on my salad" or "Can I have rice instead of a potato?" My brother says it's inconsiderate.

Signed,
Picky Eater


Dear Picky Eater,
No, I don't think it's wrong or inconsiderate to make changes to a menu item. You are paying for the meal, therefore you should absolutely have it the way you want it. Just know, of course, if the substitution item is more than the original item, you have to be prepared to pay extra for that. And your server may spit in your food (only kidding).

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
What is the best way in your opinion to confront a friend who I think (but am not sure) may have a drug problem?

Signed,
Worried Friend



Dear Worried Friend,
I applaud you for wanting to reach out and help your friend. But my first question to you is: do you know for sure that your friend has an actual drug problem? A lot of times depression can seem like a drug issue, or rumors can start from other people that may not be true. Before you confront your friend, just make sure you are fairly certain it's a drug issue and not something else (which you then can address). Assuming you know it's a drug issue, I'd go the honest approach: "Sally, I'm going to be straightforward here because I care a great deal about you. You're one of my closest friends but I've noticed a change in you. I'm concerned you have a drug problem and I want to help you. Are you willing to get help so you can start feeling better?"

Perhaps you could research recommended therapists who specialize in drug abuse or recommend some local treatment centers so your friend feels supported.

For additional info you can check out these sites:
http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/
http://www.drugfree.org/Intervention/HelpingOthers/
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/drug_substance_abuse_addiction_signs_effects_tre\
atment.htm

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
How accurate are home pregnancy tests?

Signed,
Possibly Pregnant



Dear Possibly Pregnant,
If you're talking about over-the-counter tests, most are fairly accurate but the percentage varies depending on several factors. Most tests claim to be "greater
than 99 percent accurate" but a study published in 2004 in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology showed that this is misleading. Some tests may be able to detect the hormone in your urine at that point and give you a positive result, but most aren't sensitive enough to guarantee you an accurate result. For a more accurate result I would suggest getting a blood test at your doctor or OB's office.

And if you do take a home pregnancy test:

· Wait as long as possible after your period to take the test. The amount of HCG or pregnancy hormone in your urine increases with time. So, the earlier after a missed period you take the test, the harder it is to spot the HCG. Also, testing your urine first thing in the morning may boost the accuracy.
· Be sure to check the expiration date on the package and follow the instructions carefully.
· Wait ten minutes after taking the test to check the results window (research suggests that waiting 10 minutes will give the most accurate result).

If you're concerned you are pregnant, again I'd recommend going to your doctor's office to be 100 percent sure.

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment