Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ask Kelli: Doctor's Office, Quick Food, & Sibling Issues

Dear Kelli,
I get so angry when I go to my doctor's office and I have to wait over an hour for my appointment. I feel like I'm wasting so much time. URG! I don't want to leave this particular doctor because I do like him. I just can't stand the waiting. What can I do?

Signed,
Waiting for Calm



Dear Waiting for Calm,

I can certainly understand why you're annoyed. Waiting for the doctor can be a very frustrating experience especially when you've made every attempt to get there on time. Here are my suggestions:

1) Expect the doctor to run late. Sometimes just preparing yourself for this scenario helps you feel less surprised when you get there. And chances are if he's late 4 out of 5 times, he'll be late the next time.
2) Call ahead before you leave for your appointment. Find out for certain if the doctor is running late. If he is you can hang back a few minutes before you leave.
3) Make "leisure time" out of waiting. Bring your favorite magazine, needlepoint, journal, etc., to help pass the time.
4) Savor the moment of just doing nothing. Sometimes I meditate while I'm waiting for an appointment. When do you have a chance to really do nothing?
5) Weigh the options. I know you mentioned you like this doctor. But weigh finding another doctor (with the risk of not liking him/her as much) or staying with this one and having to wait. You could always try a new doctor and see how you feel.
6) Try talking to this doctor about it. In a nice way you might want to say something like, "Is there anything I can do to ensure my next visit will be on time?" This way you are not placing the blame directly on the doctor and risking putting him on the defense.

Good luck,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
I want to cook a healthy dinner for my family but I feel so pressed for time. I'm sick of junk food carryout and frankly, we don't have the money to keep doing it! I like cooking just don't have that much time. Any suggestions?

Signed,
Pressed Foodie



Dear Pressed Foodie,
You are speaking my language! I really like the following cookbook:

"The Six O'Clock Scramble" by Aviva Goldfarb (also online: http://thescramble.com/ )

And online I love these cooking sites:

1) http://www.foodnetwork.com/quick-and-easy/index.html
2) http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Quick-and-Easy/Main.aspx
3) http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes/quick-and-easy/

You can always prepare some ingredients the night before so you aren't as rushed the day of. Finally, I buy a lot of prepared vegetables in the grocery store (bagged salad, shredded carrots, etc.) It can be a bit more expensive but it's worth it when you are trying to save time!

Bon appetit,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
I haven't spoken to my only brother (my only sibling) in over 11 years. We had a falling out years ago bit lately I've really been missing him. The problem is he was in the wrong and didn't treat me right. What do you recommend?

Signed,
Sibling Rivalry



Dear Sibling Rivalry,
Unless you want to spend the next 11 years not talking I recommend you be the bigger person here and call him up. It doesn't matter who was at fault, who started it, who ended it, yada, yada. All that matters is the present which is that you want to mend a broken relationship. Good for you.

I would start the first conversation off easy and light. Tell your brother you miss him and you don't like not talking. Then later when things settle you can ask what happened and perhaps set the boundaries for future interactions (so what happened doesn't happen again).

If you find yourself second guessing the situation ask yourself: Is it better to be right or to be happy?

You only have one brother. Life is too short to spend any more of it without him.

All the best,
Kelli

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelli, thanks so much for mentioning my cookbook and I'm delighted you enjoy it! I wanted to let you know that I have a new book coming out April 13 with all new quick and healthy (and earth-friendly!) recipes. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.
    Best, Aviva

    ReplyDelete