Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ask Kelli: Myrtle Beach, Dating While Separated, & Irresponsible Co-workers

Dear Kelli,
I'm thinking of taking a trip to Myrtle Beach with my family in the spring. Is this a good place to take kids? Thoughts?

Signed,
Sun and Sand Lover


Dear Sun and Sand Lover,
I've heard wonderful things about Myrtle Beach for family vacations. But don't just take my word for it. See what real moms and dads have to say here:

http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/myrtle-beach/dh/

Additionally, here are some other great travel websites where you can find out more:

1) http://www.familytravelfiles.com
2) http://www.tripadvisor.com
3) http://www.wejustgotback.com

And finally don't forget to check out Myrtle Beach own websites:

4) www.myrtlebeach.com/
5) www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/visitors.html
6) www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
What do you say about dating before you are officially divorced? I'm now separated but want to start dating again. I won't be technically divorced until next May so is it wrong for me to put myself out there now?

Signed,
Women Needing Some Comfort



Dear Women Needing Some Comfort,
I think it's absolutely fine to date while separated but only if you are upfront about your circumstance. If you meet someone you like, you owe it to that person to let them know about your situation. Being upfront starts off the relationship with clean and honest communication. The best way to start a relationship in my opinion! There are no secrets and you won't ever have to dance around the issue, or fear you'll be "found out." You've done your part and now it's up to the person you are dating whether or not they are comfortable with your separated status.

If you are considering online dating, just be sure to note it in your profile as well.

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
I can't stand irresponsible people! There have been several times where I've emailed a specific co-worker (regarding a project) and gotten a response five days later. What can I do? I'm at my wits end!

Signed,
Frustrated with Irresponsibility



Dear Frustrated with Irresponsibility,
One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to accept that everyone works on a different timeline. Now it may not be the timeline you use (or want the other person to use) but it's the reality. And I know it stinks. I'm with you on this one. Especially when you're the efficient and punctual one and your co-worker, well, isn't.

So here are my suggestions:

1) When you are collaborating on a project, ask your co-worker the best way to communicate with her or him. I've learned some people love email, others hate it and do better with the phone or text. Find out.
2) Ask specific questions about when the best time to communicate is. "Do you want to be contacted as soon as I complete my end of the project or would you rather I give you a 10 minutes heads up?" This way your co-worker knows you will be contacting them and will be expecting it.
3) Make the co-worker accountable for his or her actions. So when you sit down to discuss the project, say something like, "Okay, great. So I'll draft up X on Thursday, do you think you can add Y and Z on Friday? This way, once Cindy gets Y and Z on Friday she can have the weekend to perfect it and turn it on Monday."
4) If you have to resort to email, cc your boss on it.
5) Finally, be kind. Nothing good comes out of snotty comments to co-workers even if you have reason to be annoyed.

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment