Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ask Kelli: Vegan Gift, Movie Ratings, & Mellow Music

Dear Kelli,
I have a friend who is a vegan. It's her birthday next Saturday. Any ideas? She's not the typical crunchy vegan. She's actually quite fashionable and loves bags, shoes, and clothes (animal-free, of course).

Signed,
Vegan Fashionista


Dear Vegan Fashionista,
Here's a website www.fashion-conscience.com that has fabulous for vegan clothes and accessories.

I also really like www.mooshoes.com and www.olsenhaus.com for their stylish options in shoes.

Finally, www.alternativeoutfitters.com has a nice selection and lots on sale right now!

All the Best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
How do you know if a movie is appropriate for a young kid? I'm not sure I trust the whole G, PG, R rating system. I guess I feel lost. Some parents on my block let their kids watch anything and others shield them from everything! I feel like I'm somewhat in the middle but need some sort-of guideline.

Signed,
Two Thumbs Confused


Dear Two Thumbs Confused,
The best guideline is a combination of A) how comfortable you feel and B) how mature or sensitive your child is based on his age. So let's start with you. I'd recommend gauging the particular movie you are questioning beforehand. A fantastic site is www.commonsensemedia.org . Not only can you learn more about a particular movie's plot line but you can determine things such as if a movie is scary, violent, or inappropriate for a certain age group.

Now let's talk about your child. Is he/she mature for their age? Is he/she more of a sensitive kid? Does he/she spook easily? These are all questions that will make a difference in your decision. For example, some kids I know find G-rated films frightening while others can tolerate R-rated movies no problem. So tune in to your kids feelings to make a sound decision.

If you've done your research and you feel a movie is appropriate for your child then give it a go. If there is any hesitation, however, I'd wait. Your child can always see that particular movie later on when he/she is older. Finally, you can always "test" a G or PG movie with your child to see how he/she reacts.

All the best,
Kelli


Dear Kelli,
I'm so stressed out. I'm seeing a therapist to work through my issues but wanted to know if you could recommend any relaxing music in the meantime.

Signed,
Needing Some Gentle Tunes


Dear Needing Some Gentle Tunes,
Good for you for working through your issues! In the meantime, these CD's will hopefully mellow you out:

1) Reiki Healing Hands by Anuvida and Nik Tyndall
2) Nil Chi Spirit by Mockingbird
3) Nature Sounds Lullaby: Ocean, Thunderstorms, and Relaxing Healing Music

I also really like Lifescapesmusic relaxing section. See here:
www.lifescapesmusic.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=13&sid=bb327f3e-005a-4545-8\
a57-a617bbd1abf5

All the best,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment